Saturday, July 17, 2010

"They took my Kodachrome away!"

Although I have not shot a roll of film in nearly ten years, I still have a fond memory of Kodachrome. From the first slide films I ever shot in 1970 on an Instamatic through my time at school and then at college Kodachrome was always the film of choice for my personal work. 
When I started commercial photography Kodachrome with its one or two week turnaround was never used much, deadlines dictated that Ektachrome slide film processed at any number of labs, and ready to deliver in about 2 hours was the main film for everyday use. Even then I still shot Kodachrome when I could in 1987 I had about 70 rolls in my luggage for a trip around the soviet union one of these slides Samerkand is still my best selling image on Alamy, with about a dozen sales a year.


So it is with a slight sense of loss that I read that the last roll of Kodachrome of the production line has now been shot and processed. Via AP 
The process line will still be running until December but after that Kodachrome will just be a memory. All be it, a  memory that is very slow to fade!


The image of the day is of the Echinops that is about to bloom in the garden.





No comments:

Sunset Margaretting

 A nice sunset but full moon stayed behind the clouds.